Who are the Friends of Engineering?
- An external organization created to advance the Faculty’s strategic growth and development, the group is comprised of senior-level executives, managers, team leaders and engineering champions who understand the importance of a having a strong, mutually beneficial relationship between all sectors of the engineering profession and the world-class engineering school that provides its future employees and leaders.
- Many of our members are the founders or leaders of their organizations, or are in a position of hiring or training engineers. All members are passionate about Manitoba staying at the cutting edge of innovation, and are willing to participate in assisting the Faculty of Engineering at the University of Manitoba continue its tradition of excellence in engineering education.
The Friends of Engineering membership should reflect the diversity of background, experience and industry perspective, including gender balance, of the engineering profession in Manitoba.
Why be a member of Friends of Engineering?
- Membership in the Friends of Engineering comes with tremendous value-added recruitment opportunities and events.
- We enjoy unequalled access to the Faculty of Engineering and its students.
- We have a strong collective voice on issues of advocacy, student support and curriculum.
- The Friends of Engineering membership should reflect the diversity of background, experience and industry perspective, including gender balance, of the engineering profession in Manitoba. Your voice is needed!
Friends of Engineering (Manitoba) Board Composition
- The Friends of Engineering Board of Directors shall consist of such number of Members as may be fixed from time to time by the Membership not being less than three.
- At the Annual General Meeting, the designated number of Board Members including a Board Chair shall be chosen. In the event of an election being necessary to determine the members of the Board and/or the Board Chair, it shall be conducted by secret ballot with current paid members each casting one ballot for the necessary number of Board Members and, if required, a separate ballot for Board Chair. At the first meeting of the Board of Directors following the Annual General Meeting, the Board shall elect its Vice-Chair, Secretary-Treasurer and individual Committee Chairs as may be required.Members and, if required, a separate ballot for Board Chair. At the first meeting of the Board of Directors following the Annual General Meeting, the Board shall elect its Vice-Chair, Secretary-Treasurer and individual Committee Chairs as may be required.
Board Composition Philosophy
- Since the Friends of Engineering is a unique group of Manitoba industry influencers and employers who share the U of M Faculty of Engineering’s commitment to excellence in engineering education, its Board of Directors should be comprised of a meaningful cross section matrix of influencers and employers from both the public and private sectors.
- Chair of the Board
- The Board Chair is responsible for Board of Directors affairs and performance. This includes setting Board meeting agendas and conducting effective meetings. The Chair will receive additional and reasonable support from the Executive Director for the assembly, assessment and reporting of required information.
- The term of office for the Chair shall normally be full two years from the Annual General Meeting when appointed. The Vice-Chair then appointed is expected to assume the role of Chair after two years in office, and a new Vice-Chair will be immediately elected. The Chair will assume the role of Past Chair and remain on the Board of Directors for the next two years. In the event that the Vice-Chair is unable to succeed the Chair after the two years, the Board of Directors shall appoint a Chair.
Nomination and Appointment Process
- When required the Vice-Chair, (or Past-Chair) on behalf of the Board, shall seek out new Board members willing to serve and will present the proposed slate of Board members and officers to be ratified by the current paid members.