Please join us at the Monday Night H.I.R.E.D
MANITOBA MEGA PROJECT:
Highway 59 – Perimeter Overpass
Presented by: Don McRitchie, P.Eng.
Team Leader, Capital Projects Branch, Manitoba Infrastructure
February 4, 2019
5:30pm – 6:30pm (followed by a Wine and Cheese Reception)
E3-270 Engineering & Information Technology Complex
Faculty of Engineering, University of Manitoba
The Highway 59 Interchange project realigns the Perimeter Highway, allowing traffic to flow without interruption across northeast Winnipeg.
The three-year mega project has resulted in:
- a new interchange at the intersection of Hwy 59 and the Perimeter Highway, Winnipeg’s north Perimeter route
- realigning the Perimeter Highway, with infrastructure in place to upgrade to six lanes in the future
- an upgraded intersection at Hwy 59 & 202 with a traffic signal and additional turn lanes
- a new crossing at the Perimeter Highway at Raleigh Street / Gateway Street to accommodate an active transportation corridor and a dedicated emergency vehicle crossing
- redirecting Knowles Avenue traffic to the Headmaster Row extension
With approximately 70,000 vehicles passing through this complex intersection every day, this project was the first provincial highway project to include Active Transportation in the design plan from the beginning. The extension of the North East Pioneers Greenway multi-use trail under the Perimeter highway was made a priority and gives Winnipeg residents access to Birds Hill Park and opens up a trail network throughout the city to residents of East St. Paul.
Construction began in July 2015 on the $250-million interchange and was completed in September 2018. Approximately 600 people, including many engineers, worked on the project, for a total of one million hours of work. The area of concrete pavement used during construction would be enough to completely cover 28 football fields.
Join us to learn more about this impressive engineering project and network with engineering students and professionals!
RSVP not required, but appreciated to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 204-474-7938